1H10 : PREPARATION TIME
25 MIN : COOKING TIME
To make 3 baguettes:
- 375 g (13 oz or 2 3 /4cup) type 55 white flour
- 215 ml (7.5 fl oz or 1 cup) water
- 7 g (2 tsp) fine salt
- 5 g (1 ½ tsp) dry baker’s yeast
- Heat the water to around 40°C(100°F). Mix the flour, salt and dry yeast in a mixing bowl.
- Pour in the warm water and knead for 5 minutes until you have a smooth dough. Cover the bowl with a cloth and leave to rise for 40 minutes at room temperature, away from draughts.
- Work the dough by hand to let the air out, then divide into 3 sections.
- Shape each section by rolling into a thin cylinder, slightly longer than the moulds in the tray. Brush flour inside the baking tray and place the cylinders of dough in each mould.
- Cover with the lid and leave to rise for 20 minutes at room temperature. Pre-heat the oven to 250°C (475°F / Gas Mark 9). Brush some water over the surface of the baguettes, making sure that the water doesn’t come between the dough and the mould, which would make the dough stick to the mould while cooking. Make deep slashes across the top.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes. Remove the lid and brown the tops for 2 minutes.